It was my birthday earlier this month. I am 35. I like this age. In fact I like my thirties. I think its my favourite decade so far for a number of reasons. The main reason is I have developed a much stronger sense of couldn’t carelessness especially with regards what others may think of me, that I was lacking when I was younger. It really does make life easier. It is my favourite thing about my 30s.
Here are some others things I do now that I would never have done in my twenties and things I have learned in my 30s.
- I do not try to hide my singing and dancing in the car. If someone in the next line of traffic sees me, I smile at them instead of pretending I wasn’t singing aloud to gangsta rap.
- I talk to strangers more. I randomly start chatting to people in queues and in shops.
- I have a much greater respect for coffee and its importance in life.
- I understand the importance of a decent bra.
- I have been known to wear track suit bottoms outside the house and the sky did not fall in. For outside wear in emergency purposes only, of course.
- Heels are over rated. It’s ok for comfort to trump additional height.
- It is better to answer blocked numbers on the phone and be honest with financial institutions that you owe money to. Ignoring them does not make them go away.
- Naps are a thing of beauty.
- You are responsible for your own happiness.
- Quickies are not a bad thing.
- Good eyebrows can act like a mini face lift.
- Shots should only be drunk sparingly and on special occasions, if ever.
- If you’re not happy, say it. People are not mind readers.
- Depression is a lot more common than I thought.
- If you need help, ask for it. It wont always be offered.
- Marriage is more about compromise than fairy tales and that is a good thing.
- Sometimes being handed dinner and promised a sleep in is as romantic as fuck.
- Good friends should never be taken for granted and that its ok if you don’t see your friends every week, they are still your friends.
- Sometimes you just need to spend €40 on new pyjamas, hair bobbins and a top you may never wear In Penneys and the world will look brighter again.
- Nobody really gives a fiddlers what you look like on the beach, only you.
- The importance of counting blessings.
What’s on your list?