I love this time of year. I am readjusting quickly to some blissful quite hours alone every day. My kids are fighting about conkers and I have the heating on. Other things I am enjoying, I have listed below, some mini reviews if you will! With the exception of a Netflix subscription all items were bought and paid for. Nothing sponsored just my thoughts on things I have liked, loved or enjoyed recently Continue reading
Things I did not get in 2013
- Smaller Feet
- Budgeting skills.
Things I did get in 2013
- a happy and healthy family
- the realisation that no matter how pretty and easy Pinterest makes things look , I just cant make crafty shit and there is no point trying.
- a dog
- lots of pigeons riding in my garden
- a boob injury
- the horror of hosting a childs party in a swimming pool
- a blog award – Holy shit.
- a positive pregnancy test ( well I actually got about 27 of these, all meant the same thing)
Thanks for reading my blog. Lots and lots of you did this year ( again holy shit). I appreciate all the views and comments and chats.
Best wishes for a wonderful 2014.
It was my birthday earlier this month. I am 35. I like this age. In fact I like my thirties. I think its my favourite decade so far for a number of reasons. The main reason is I have developed a much stronger sense of couldn’t carelessness especially with regards what others may think of me, that I was lacking when I was younger. It really does make life easier. It is my favourite thing about my 30s.
Here are some others things I do now that I would never have done in my twenties and things I have learned in my 30s.
- I do not try to hide my singing and dancing in the car. If someone in the next line of traffic sees me, I smile at them instead of pretending I wasn’t singing aloud to gangsta rap.
- I talk to strangers more. I randomly start chatting to people in queues and in shops.
- I have a much greater respect for coffee and its importance in life.
- I understand the importance of a decent bra.
- I have been known to wear track suit bottoms outside the house and the sky did not fall in. For outside wear in emergency purposes only, of course.
- Heels are over rated. It’s ok for comfort to trump additional height.
- It is better to answer blocked numbers on the phone and be honest with financial institutions that you owe money to. Ignoring them does not make them go away.
- Naps are a thing of beauty.
- You are responsible for your own happiness.
- Quickies are not a bad thing.
- Good eyebrows can act like a mini face lift.
- Shots should only be drunk sparingly and on special occasions, if ever.
- If you’re not happy, say it. People are not mind readers.
- Depression is a lot more common than I thought.
- If you need help, ask for it. It wont always be offered.
- Marriage is more about compromise than fairy tales and that is a good thing.
- Sometimes being handed dinner and promised a sleep in is as romantic as fuck.
- Good friends should never be taken for granted and that its ok if you don’t see your friends every week, they are still your friends.
- Sometimes you just need to spend €40 on new pyjamas, hair bobbins and a top you may never wear In Penneys and the world will look brighter again.
- Nobody really gives a fiddlers what you look like on the beach, only you.
- The importance of counting blessings.
What’s on your list?
All of the following have happened in the last few days. Coincidentally I am home alone with the children for the last week. I have whole chunks of new grey hair and look five years older than I did a week ago.
- Why would you throw a full toilet roll into the toilet and if you really had to would you not have flushed the toilet first?
- Why would you put half a banana in your pocket?
- Why would you think your doll needed my Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream all over her body?
- Why do you leave your schoolbag in the house every morning when we leave?
- Why would you stab your mother with a scissors then get ridiculously freaked out by the sight of all the blood? If blood bothers you don’t stab people.
- Why would you put a hat on the top of the sweeping brush so that when I walked into the kitchen I thought it was a man standing with his back to me?
- Why ,after a lecture on why you should not put a banana in your pocket, the very next day put another half eaten banana in your pocket?
- Why do you eat everything given to you in other people’s houses but only eat cheese or chocolate in your own?
- Why is your new preferred insult to your sister ” You stupid woman”, where did these misogynist learnings come from?
- Why do you think you will get away with drawing on the walls when the same colour marker is all over your hands?
- Why are you all overcome with hunger and thirst the minute you get into bed at night?
- Why would you climb into the tiny space under the stairs in the bathroom, close the door and sit in between the hoover and old paint silently until I am sitting on the toilet and then burst out screaming “Surprise” really loudly?
- Why have you not tired of the One Direction cd yet? I did weeks ago.
- Why do you think its a good idea to throw your sisters shoes out the window?
- Why would put yogurt on the tv? Really what was the purpose? All it does it obstruct your view and get you in trouble.
- Why after getting a ring stuck on your finger that took twenty minutes to take off, would you put the same ring back on the same finger?
- Why would you bring your sister upstairs and wash her hair with shampoo and conditioner but no water?
- Why, on the first warm evening in six months so the windows were open, would you run through house screaming ” Not my bum, please do not touch my bum, PLEASE DON’T HURT MY BUM AGAIN” just because you saw me with sudocrem in my hand?
- Why do you look at me with sympathy and explain in a soft voice that I don’t understand when we are doing YOUR homework, when I am right and you are wrong?
- Why would you put a teddy bear bunny in the fridge again after the last time? You saw my reaction when I thought it was a rat in the fridge yet you did it again, Why?
- Why do you still think you can fly? If you jump off the bunk bed again we will end up back in the hospital like last. You can’t fly. Stop telling me and other people you can. I am all on for imagination just do not test the theory and stop talking about testing the theory, its not good for me.
With Best Regards
Your Broken Mother